This Sweet Chilli Halloumi Recipe is going to be your new favorite treat! Salty halloumi is grilled and slathered in a spicy sweet chilli sauce and topped with crushed pistachios for an absolutely perfect combination of flavors.
Sweet & Spicy Halloumi Cheese Recipe
Halloumi has to be one of my favorite healthy treats. This cheese, which comes from Cyprus, can be sliced and grilled to make a delicious addition to a variety of dishes. It’s perfect as an appetizer, on salads, or just on its own. I dressed it up here with some white sesame seeds, Thai chili honey, chili flakes, and crushed pistachios.
Serve this right away when it’s warm, and I promise you’ll be overcome with pure delight in every bite! It’s the perfect easy recipe to indulge in all on your own or share with someone special.
Why You’ll Love It
- The salty cheese and chili honey combination is *chef’s kiss.*
- It’s a versatile recipe that’ll enhance any dish.
- Great for those who follow a low-carb diet.
- It’ll be ready to eat in a matter of minutes.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Halloumi: You’ll need a halloumi block for this recipe. Don’t know where to buy it? Check out the “FAQ” section.
- Avocado Oil: I like to use heart-healthy avocado oil but olive oil works too!
- White Sesame Seeds: Sesame seeds take the texture and flavor of this dish up a notch.
- Honey: I used Sora’s Thai chili honey here, but if you’re low-carb/keto, you can use sugar-free honey if you’d like.
- Chili Flakes: Chili flakes add a kick of heat that tastes so good with the honey and halloumi.
- Pistachios: Pistachios add a salty crunch to this dish, taking it to a whole new level.
How to Make Sweet Chilli Halloumi
The steps are simple, and I’m outlining them below, but be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page to view the full, printable recipe card. You can also watch how it comes together in my Instagram reel!
STEP 1 – PREP HALLOUMI
Grab a package of halloumi, pat it dry with a paper towel, then cut it into slices.
STEP 2 – GRILL
Next, heat up some avocado oil on a pan over medium-high heat. Then add the halloumi and grill them up until nice and golden brown on both sides.
STEP 3 – ADD HONEY
Turn off the heat, top the halloumi with white sesame seeds, and drizzle on about a tablespoon or two of your favorite honey.
STEP 4 – ADD TOPPINGS & SERVE
Remove halloumi from the pan, top with some more sesame seeds, honey, chili flakes, and a tablespoon or two of pistachios.
Serve immediately, and enjoy!
While you could easily snack on this halloumi all-day with no regrets, it’s highly recommended that you pair it with some other delectable options.
Use it as a topping for sandwiches and wraps like my Low-Carb Bell Pepper Sandwich or Keto Lettuce Wraps. You could also make a delicious halloumi salad or add it to our Mediterranean Cucumber Salad or High Protein Chicken Salad. The limit of deliciousness does not exist!
Where can I buy halloumi cheese?
Halloumi cheese is not your typical cheese as it is typically imported from Cyprus, making it less common in the U.S. However, it is truly worth the higher price point. You can find this squeaky cheese at many grocery store chains like Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joe’s, and Aldi.
Can you eat halloumi raw?
Yes, you can eat halloumi raw! However, it’s usually best when cooked. That’s because the heat transforms it into something truly special — with a warm, squidgy texture and slightly crisp edges, there’s nothing quite like it.
Is halloumi cheese healthy?
According to Healthline, halloumi cheese has many health benefits, as it’s low-fat, high-protein, and contains vitamins and minerals such as zinc, iron, potassium, and calcium. It’s also lactose-free which makes it great for those with dairy intolerances.
Store any leftover sweet chilli halloumi in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
To reheat, we recommend placing your halloumi in a pan over medium heat or in an air fryer until heated through. This will keep the texture of the cheese nice and crispy.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Cheese Stuffed Peppers
- Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Whipped Cottage Cheese
- Air Fryer Pasta Bake
- Creamy Avocado Salsa with Pistachios
- 8 ounces Halloumi
- 1-2 tablespoons Avocado oil
- dash of Sesame Seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- chili flakes, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons roasted pistachios
- Grab a package of halloumi, pat it dry with a paper towel, then cut it into slices.
- Heat up some avocado oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Then add the halloumi slices and pan fry them until nice and golden brown on both sides.
- Turn off the heat, top the halloumi with white sesame seeds, and drizzle on about a tablespoon or two of your favorite honey. I used Sora’s Thai chili honey here, but if you're low-carb/keto, you can use sugar-free honey if you’d like.
- Remove halloumi from the pan, top with some more sesame seeds, honey, chili flakes, and a tablespoon or two of pistachios. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Store any leftover sweet chilli halloumi in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.